Skip to main content

Book Review: Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge




“Just because things were fair didn't make them easy.”

This is a fine retelling of fairy tales.

With Cruel Beauty I became a fan of Rosamund Hodge. At the beginning, I thought that Cruel Beauty was better, but things started getting better with each plot twist. And I got attached. I'm glad I read Crimson Bound.

The characters here are unique in their complexity. With every decision they make, a particular character trait can be revealed about each of them, and we get to know more about them, but not a lot because you wouldn't know how they are going to act next. Rachelle is so brave and kind more than she ever gives herself credit. Have you ever felt mad at the demise of a wicked character Because Rosamund Hodge made me feel this way!

Hodge knows how to handle these retellings and make them more alluring and charming. You cannot guess what's going to happen next, all the time.

I'm just going to say this: you're missing a lot if you still haven't read Crimson Bound and Cruel Beauty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

"After all their mad escapes and close calls, he’d started to believe the six of them were somehow charmed, that his guns, Kaz’s brains, Nina’s wit, Inej’s talent, Wylan’s ingenuity, and Matthias’ strength had made them somehow untouchable." OHMYHEART! Kaz Brekker is a genius! This has been a wonderful reading experience. From the beginning I decided to take it slowly so it could last longer, which was hard considering the book kept me on edges all the time with every plot twist and each unexpected turn of events. I have never written many updates for a book before Crooked Kingdom. And this says a lot. The story is written flawlessly. The characters' development was intricately displayed in a way that made them the interesting characters they are. Again, I must say Leigh Bardugo writes the best dialogues that are true to their characters. Reading Crooked Kingdom was like Matthias' description of Nina: “You aren’t a flower, you’re every blossom in the...

Article: My Top 5 Children Books

Children Literature is rich of wonderful tales, mostly with great morals and lessons. These tales are unique for their characters and writing style. Personally, I think they not only meant for kids as adults, like me, enjoy reading them from time to time. 1.        Charlie and the Chocolate factory by Roald Dahl:   “But there was one other thing that the grown-ups also knew, and it was this: that however small the chance might be of striking lucky, the chance is there. The chance had to be there.”  There's a chance for five kids to visit Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory which has been shut for ages. However, Charlie's family is poor, they cannot afford buying a chocolate bar. His grandpa tries to help him, but he gets a Golden Ticket after two futile attempts. He takes his grandpa for a companion, and together they have a grand time inside the wonder that the factory is. After many adventures and several tests from Willy Wonka, Charlie s...

Book Review: 'The Hate U Give' by Angie Thomas

"Brave doesn't mean you're not scared, Starr," she says. "It means you go on even though you're scared. And you're doing that."  I'm an emotional mess right now. This book exceeded my expectations. An apt representation of what Black people have to go through, and the #BlackLivesMatter Movement. At some parts, I couldn't go on; it's like this book broke my heart, but then mended it. Warmed some parts of me. Chanted that sometimes you should try to have things end differently- the right way. ********** The book starts with Starr Carter, a sixteen-year-old black girl, explaining the two versions of hers: the Starr of Garden Heights, where she lives among her people; and the Starr of Williamson, where she goes to school. She reluctantly attends a party with her friend Kenya, with whom she shares a brother, Seven. There she meets Khalil, one of her best friends whom she has not seen in months. Due to some chaotic shots, they h...