Skip to main content

Book Review: 'The Great Gatsby'

3.5/5stars.

I just do not know how I feel towards all the characters except Nick. Before starting reading the story, I had got to know about the narrator, and I wondered why is not the story written from Gatsby or Daisy's POV. However, once I got to know the characters, I knew that the story couldn't have been well-narrated except by Nick; he was the sane one in the story, the one with self-composition. If others were to narrate it, it would have been incoherent and so confusing.

I liked Nick's narration and the rich prose that was written so beautifully. The language was a refreshment while the actions were not appealing.

Gatsby spent years of his precious youth to gain fame and wealth, mistakenly thinking that with them he could gain back a young love. In all the haze to get the status he wanted, he forgot to make friends and to live normally. I pitied him at the beginning and I pitied him when he died. What a waste of youth!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

"After all their mad escapes and close calls, he’d started to believe the six of them were somehow charmed, that his guns, Kaz’s brains, Nina’s wit, Inej’s talent, Wylan’s ingenuity, and Matthias’ strength had made them somehow untouchable." OHMYHEART! Kaz Brekker is a genius! This has been a wonderful reading experience. From the beginning I decided to take it slowly so it could last longer, which was hard considering the book kept me on edges all the time with every plot twist and each unexpected turn of events. I have never written many updates for a book before Crooked Kingdom. And this says a lot. The story is written flawlessly. The characters' development was intricately displayed in a way that made them the interesting characters they are. Again, I must say Leigh Bardugo writes the best dialogues that are true to their characters. Reading Crooked Kingdom was like Matthias' description of Nina: “You aren’t a flower, you’re every blossom in the...

Book Review: When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

“This is our life. We get to decide the rules. We get to say what goes and what stays, what matters and what doesn’t.” 4.5 / 5 stars! This is the first book I read by an Indian author that is not fanfiction (YES, I read and love fanfiction). I really, really liked this book; it is unputdownable.  The writing style is so good. The characters are sweet and lovely. My favourite bit of romantic books is when the characters go out of their usual way for love and change and surprise themselves and make their own rules, just like in this story. Dimple is a coder. Her life mainly revolves around her dreams. She's smart, strong, and independent. The last thing she would agree to was an arranged marriage; it's something that has always seemed unfathomable to her. Enters Rishi, the family guy, who was not into coding, and cared about fulfilling the wishes of his family, including an arranged marriage to the daughter of family friends, that he abandoned his dreams till the e...

Book Review: Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

“Knowing the truth is not always a kindness.”  Cruel Beauty is the Perfect blend of Greek Mythology and a Beauty and the Beast retelling, along with modified hints of other fairy tales. Nyx Triskelion was betrothed since birth to the demons' prince due to a foolish bargain her father struck with him. All her life she had been trained to kill him and save her land, Arcadia forever from his curse. It's thought that nine hundred years the Gentle Lord or Ignefix had sundered Arcadia from the world, casting a false sky over it. Inside the spacious tower, Nyx met Shade, who was a shadow, and instantly liked him as he showed kindness towards her. However, after spending some time in Ignefix's company, Nyx found out that he was quite as helpless as all of them because he's bound to his masters, who were responsible for the sundering. I love that Nyx was not made to be a sweet, innocent girl, and she didn't succumb to her fate and get all overly-confident...